Claro Skin Clinic


I think my mole has changed what should I do?

We often use the “ABCD” rule to decide whether or not a lesion is worrisome and needs to be assessed by a dermatologist.

A is for asymmetry. Both sides of the mole should match if you draw a line down the middle.

B is for border. If the lesion has a border that is blurred you may need to have your mole assessed. Most normal moles have a sharply defined border.

C is for colour. You should be aware if there are two or more colours in the mole.

D is for diameter. If your mole has grown to greater than 6 mm then you may need to get it assessed.

If your mole has changed and shows most of these signs then it is worth getting them checked by your GP and if necessary a second opinion from a dermatologist. Melanomas do not always show all of these signs.

A dermatologist will be able to make an expert assessment and can remove the mole if there is any concern regarding it.

I have a rash which my GP is struggling to diagnose or manage what should I do?

Skin conditions are very common in general practice and your GP will be used to seeing lots of patients with various skin conditions. Most conditions should be easily diagnosed and managed by your general practitioner. There are some skin conditions which are less common and your GP may need the help of a dermatologist to make a firm diagnosis. Some skin conditions are also difficult to manage and may require expert advice from a consultant dermatologist.

My child has a rash which I am worried about. Do you see children with skin problems?

Yes we see patients of all ages. All dermatologists will have had some paediatric (children) dermatology experience during their training and so would be skilled at diagnosing and treating common skin conditions in children. Some dermatologists will have spent extra periods of training in paediatric skin conditions and would be more skilled at diagnosing and treating difficult skin conditions in children. If your child has a skin condition that is proving difficult to diagnose or manage it would be possible for a general dermatologist to refer you to a specialist paediatric dermatologist if necessary.

My child has been struggling with acne for the last few years. Are there any additional treatments that might prove useful?

Acne can be a very distressing condition for both children and their parents. There are some very effective treatment options for patients with acne which prevent further new lesions and thus further scarring.

Treatments would normally be tailored to your individual child’s circumstances but often effective treatment used early in the course of the condition prevents further additional scarring.

My GP has told me he thinks I have a skin cancer and has referred me to the plastic surgery department. Do you deal with skin cancers in dermatology?

Dermatologists are skilled at the diagnosis and management of most skin cancers. They will occasionally refer to plastics if the lesion is too large to remove in the dermatology department. Some dermatologists have had extra experience and training in the diagnosis and management of skin cancers and would be competent to deal with most skin cancers without the need to refer to other specialities so you could be diagnosed and treated by the same dermatologist.

My GP has told me I have eczema. I am worried about the amount of steroid cream
I am using?

Patients are often worried about over use of steroids. It is better however to treat your rash appropriately rather than under treat it for fear of over use of steroids. As a general rule, a line of cream on your fingertip should cover an area of skin the size of your palm.

For further information on skin conditions click on: